Below are some recipe inspirations for the September box share items. Enjoy!
Pico De Gallo Salsa
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 finely chopped hot pepper, seeded
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 1/2 cups chopped red tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
Mix red onion, hot pepper, and lime juice in a bowl. Allow to stand for 5 minutes. Mix in tomatoes, cilantro, and salt; allow to stand 15 more minutes for flavors to blend.
Quinoa, Beet and Arugula Salad
- 1/2 pound beets, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 ounces arugula, chopped
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan, and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Cover pan and bring the water to a boil. Add beets, cover pan, and steam until just tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Bring quinoa and 2 cups water a saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, whisk olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt, and black pepper together in a large bowl.
- Remove quinoa from heat, then immediately add half of the vinegar dressing while fluffing the quinoa with a fork; reserve remaining dressing. Cover and refrigerate quinoa until cool, at least 1 hour.
- Stir green onions, arugula, goat cheese, beets, and remaining dressing into cooled quinoa mixture. Toss lightly before serving.
Stuffed Green Peppers
- 6 green bell peppers
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped (or fresh!)
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cans condensed tomato soup
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cut the tops off the peppers, and remove the seeds. Cook peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes; drain. Sprinkle salt inside each pepper, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute beef and onions for 5 minutes, or until beef is browned. Drain off excess fat, and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the tomatoes, rice, 1/2 cup water and Worcestershire sauce. Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until rice is tender. Remove from heat, and stir in the cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (175 degrees C). Stuff each pepper with the beef and rice mixture, and place peppers open side up in a baking dish. In a medium bowl, combine tomato soup with just enough water to make the soup a gravy consistency. Pour over the peppers.
- Bake covered for 25 to 35 minutes, until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly.
Concord Grape, Almond Cake
- 4 cups almond flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup oil (coconut or vegetable)
- Zest and juice of two lemons
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ½ cup organic sugar
- ½ cup milk (of choice)
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cups concord grapes
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
Add ½ cup chopped almonds for decoration
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 8” spring form pan and set aside. Gluten-free cakes are delicate; using a spring form pan will prevent disappointments when removing from cake pan.
In a clean bowl combine almond flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside. In a small saucepan over very low heat combine oil, lemon zest, the juice of 1 ½ lemons (you will use the remaining half on the glazing), maple syrup, honey, sugar, vanilla and almond extract. Heat until sugar is dissolved. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment beat eggs. Add dry ingredients, then the oil honey mixture, and mix until combined. Add milk. Beat until just incorporated. Remove from stand mixer to add grapes. Transfer batter onto spring form pan. Bake for 45 minutes, or until when inserting and removing a knife it comes out clean.
Remove from oven and cool completely. Transfer to a serving plate to glaze. To make the glaze, combine yogurt, lemon juice, and maple syrup. Pour over cake and spread with knife. Cake stayed fresh, cover in the refrigerator for 5 days. But you might finish it before then.